Tennis -- GC continues C/EPC dominance
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2004 1:56 PM
PINETOPS -- Greene Central needed barely more than an hour to dismantle SouthWest Edgecombe 9-0 in a Carolina/Eastern Plains 1-A/2-A Conference match Monday afternoon.
The Rams remained unbeaten in 13 outings, including 10 against C/EPC competition. They extended their conference win streak to 79 consecutive matches.
Andrew Hulbert, Brent Darden, Lin Hall, Chris Hardy and Dustin Grant each remained unbeaten in 13 singles matches. Brian Sugg improved to 12-1 with a straight-set win against the Cougars' Trey Strickland at the No. 6 slot.
Greene Central lost two games in the six singles and three doubles matches combined on the Lee R. Hall Athletic Complex courts.
Greene Central 9,
SouthWest Edgecombe 0
Singles -- No. 1 Andrew Hulbert (GC) d. Derek Turner 6-0, 6-0; No. 2 Brent Darden (GC) d. Jackson Perry 6-0, 6-0; No. 3 Lin Hall (GC) d. Corey Hamilton 6-0, 6-0; No. 4 Chris Hardy (GC) d. Tyler Cannon 6-1, 6-0; No. 5 Dustin Grant (GC) d. Aaron Walker 6-0, 6-0; No. 6 Brian Sugg (GC) d. Trey Strickland 6-0, 6-0.
Doubles -- No. 1 Hulbert-Darden (GC) d. Turner-Hamilton 8-0; No. 2 Hall-Hardy (GC) d. Perry-Cannon 8-1; No. 3 Grant-Sugg (GC) d. Walker-Strickland 8-0.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series