Baseball -- CBA tops Cougars
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 9, 2004 1:57 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Drew McGowan, Bennett Jeffreys and Jared Gouty each accomplished career firsts on the Charles B. Aycock baseball diamond Thursday afternoon.
McGowan picked up his first-ever varsity mound win, striking out eight in a three-inning stint as the Golden Falcons stopped Goldsboro 27-0 in Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference play.
Jeffreys and Gouty each belted a home run in the contest, which was halted after 41Ú2 innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
Alex Raper replaced McGowan on the mound in the fourth and provided two innings of no-hit, six-strikeout relief.
The Cougars had one hit.
C.B. Aycock (7-5, 5-4 ECC) entertains North Lenoir at 7 p.m. today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series