Baseball -- Eagles stay in first place
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 21, 2004 2:00 PM
Wayne Christian maintained its position at the top of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference with a 14-3 win in five innings over Norlina at home.
The game was called after five innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
Josh Brannan and Billy Smith had three hits and three RBI each for the Eagles (8-3 overall), who improved to 4-1 against conference opposition. Smith had three doubles, while T.A. Brannan had two hits, including a triple and three RBI.
Tyler Thomas pitched a four-hitter in five innings of work on the mound, striking out six in picking up the win.
The Eagles take on Cressent Academy of Durham at home on Friday at 4 p.m.
Norlina 000 30x x -- 3 4 2
Wayne Chr. 432 5xx x -- 14 11 2
Leading hitters -- Norlina -- Chris Adams 2-2, HR. Wayne Christian -- Josh Brannan 3-4, 3 RBI; Billy Smith 3-3, 3 2B, 3 RBI; T.A. Brannan 2-3, 3B, 3 RBI.
IP H R ER BB SO
Steve Shearin (L) 4 11 14 9 6 6
Tyler Thomas (W) 5 4 3 1 4 6
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series