Baseball -- Saints slip on road
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 21, 2004 2:00 PM
WINTERVILLE -- Southern Wayne had runners on base in five-of-seven innings and stranded nine runners in a 3-1 loss on the road on Tuesday.
The Saints' Nathan Fail and Brady Wiggins had two hits each with Fail providing a double.
"We had plenty of opportunities to score. We just couldn't come up with that big timely hit," Southern Wayne coach Trae McKee said.
Southern Wayne (7-9, 4-6 Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference) looks to rebound on Friday at home against rival Charles B. Aycock at 7 p.m.
South Central's Bill Hopkins picked up the complete-game win on the mound, striking out six and yielding six hits in seven innings. Hopkins helped his cause with two hits, including a double. Ed Green supplied an RBI for the Falcons (10-5-1, 8-2 ECC).
Matthew Holloman got the loss for the Saints.
South Central picked up two unearned runs on two errors.
Southern Wayne 001 000 0 -- 1 6 2
South Central 201 000 x -- 3 6 0
Leading hitters -- Southern Wayne -- Nathan Fail 2-4, 2B; Brady Wiggins 2-3. South Central -- Bill Hopkins 2-3, 2B; Ed Green 1-2, RBI.
IP H R ER BB S0
Holloman (L, 2-3) 5 5 3 1 4 2
Ashley Langston 1 1 0 0 0 2
Hopkins (W) 7 6 1 1 4 6
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series