Baseball -- WCDS falls in five innings
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 21, 2004 2:01 PM
HENDERSON -- Kerr-Vance tallied 14 runs in the first two innings, posting two rallies with six-straight hits as the state-ranked Spartans defeated Wayne Country Day 15-4 in five innings at home on Tuesday.
Spenser Briggs paced the Chargers (2-10, 0-6 Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference) with two hits, including a home run and a double and two RBI. Travis Davis and Ryan Ford added two hits each as Davis drove in two runs.
Matt Choplin led four Spartans with at least three hits with a four-for-four effort at the plate.
Wayne Country Day looks to rebound against non-conference opponent Hobgood at the Eastern Carolina Athletic Park at 7 p.m. tonight.
WCDS 012 01x x -- 4 8 3
Kerr-Vance 4(10)1 0xx x -- 15 18 1
Leading hitters -- WCDS -- Spenser Briggs 2-3, HR, 2B, 2 RBI; Travis Davis 2-2, 2 RBI; Ryan Ford 2-3, 2B. Kerr-Vance -- Matt Choplin 4-4; Jamie McGee 3-3, 3 RBI; Justin Lloyd 3-4, 2 RBI; Chris Williamson 3-4, 3 RBI.
IP H R ER BB SO
Ryan Ford (L) 1 9 8 7 1 0
Travis Davis 1 5 6 4 1 1
Kevin Herring 2 5 1 0 1 0
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series