Softball -- Rams earn first EPC win
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 21, 2004 2:01 PM
TARBORO -- Cassie Webb slapped a pair of home runs and Elizabeth Cooper added a home run as Greene Central thumped Tarboro High 17-2 in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference action Tuesday afternoon.
It was the Rams' first league win in four tries.
Webb finished the day 4-for-4, while Cooper batted 3-for-3.
Greene Central plated 15 runs in the first two innings combined.
Brittany Leggett emerged the winning pitcher, striking out nine and walking one. Officials halted the contest after four innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
Tarboro remained winless in four EPC games.
Greene Central (3-11) entertains state-ranked Charles B. Aycock today at 5 p.m.
Greene Central 4(11)1 1 -- 17 17 0
Tarboro High 002 0 -- 2 3 4
Leading hitters -- Greene Central -- Cassie Webb 4-4, 2 HRs; Elizabeth Cooper 3-3, HR.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series