Softball -- Spring Creek tops Rebels
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 21, 2004 2:02 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek collected three runs in the fifth and sixth innings combined and doubled up North Duplin 6-3 in a Class 1-A Carolina Conference game Tuesday afternoon.
"Our errors and passed balls really hurt us," Rebels coach Heather Best said. "We hit the ball well, but left too many on base; and didn't capitalize on their mistakes as they did on our mistakes."
The Rebels (1-13) remained winless in seven Carolina outings.
Lorenda Brogden emerged the winning pitcher, striking out seven and scattering five hits in a complete-game effort. She allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits and one walk.
Spring Creek (2-15) climbed to 2-5 in the league.
North Duplin is the guest of league-leading and state-ranked North Johnston on Friday.
North Duplin 200 100 0 -- 3 6 5
Spring Creek 030 021 x -- 6 2 5
Leading hitters -- Spring Creek -- Brogden 1-4, 2B. North Duplin -- C. Pate 2-4, 2B; Marlyn Ball 2-4.
IP H R ER BB SO
B. Carr (L) 1 1/3 0 2 0 3 2
C. Pate 5 2/3 2 4 2 3 4
Brogden (W) 7 5 3 2 1 7
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series