Soccer -- Aycock takes out West Carteret
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 22, 2004 2:00 PM
MOREHEAD CITY -- Charles B. Aycock goalie Emily Stewart had 10 saves as the Golden Falcons emerged a 2-0 winner on the road over West Carteret.
The Patriots (8-6 overall) came into the game unbeaten in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference and now have a 7-1 mark. The Golden Falcons (10-4 overall), who tallied their sixth shutout of the season, improved to 7-2 in the conference as they avenged a loss earlier in the season.
West Carteret outscored Aycock 19-2 combined in two games last season.
"I keep going back to the senior girls. It's so important for us for them to have played for four years," Aycock coach John Fidler said. "It does something for us going into the playoffs, especially after what happened against them last year."
Nicole Taylor scored the first goal 28 minutes into the first half off of a follow shot. Four minutes later, Mary Beth Hooks capped the scoring by finishing a loose ball around the net.
Fidler applauded a total team effort in the win.
Aycock travels to West Craven on April 28.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series