Golf -- Patriots, Holler dominate ECC match
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 23, 2004 1:56 PM
Ryan Holler carded an even-par 72 on the challenging Walnut Creek Country Club and helped his West Carteret teammates top Charles B. Aycock 314-329 on Thursday afternoon.
The Patriots widened their lead to 29 strokes over the Golden Falcons in the race for the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference crown.
Meet host Eastern Wayne finished third with 340, followed by county rival Southern Wayne with 346. Kinston (351), Washington (352), South Central (374) and West Craven (416) rounded out the eight-team match.
Jonathan Burke, Ryan Campbell and Ryan Walderman each led Aycock with identical scores of 82. Will Vinson and Dustin Smith each carded an 83, but only one result counted toward the team's four-player total.
Robert Garris emerged Eastern Wayne's leader with an 83. Teammates Ryan Dunn and Scott Boyette fired an 84 and 85, respectively. Miles Perry contributed an 88.
Morgan Hill paced the Saints with an 81. John Thornton provided an 85, followed by Sam Britt with an 89. Kenny Grady chipped in a 91.
All eight teams return to action next Tuesday afternoon in the season-ending meet at Morehead City Country Club.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series