Tennis -- Rosewood picks up road win
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 23, 2004 1:59 PM
FARMVILLE -- Rosewood swept the singles and captured two of three doubles matches in a 8-1 decision against Carolina/Eastern Plains 1-A/2-A foe Farmville Central on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles improved to 8-7 overall and 7-7 against C/EPC competition.
Wesley Lovelady, Matt Mitchell, Brandon Hietpas, Ty Johnson, Joey Churchwell and J.P. Cummins each prevailed in their respective singles match. Lovelady and Mitchell each posted a shutout, while fifth-seeded Churchwell dropped just one game.
The duos of Lovelady-Mitchell and Hietpas-Churchwell each triumphed in doubles.
Farmville won the No. 3 doubles.
Rosewood 8, Farmville Central 1
Singles -- No. 1 Wesley Lovelady (R) d. Ben Adams 6-0, 6-0; No. 2 Matt Mitchell (R) d. James Newsome 6-0, 6-0; No. 3 Brandon Hietpas (R) d. Matt Howard 6-3, 6-1; No. 4 Ty Johnson (R) d. Brandon Cox 6-3, 6-0; No. 5 Joey Churchwell (R) d. David Newton 6-1, 6-0; No. 6 J.P. Cummins (R) d. Chase Jones 6-3, 6-3.
Doubles -- No. 1 Lovelady-Mitchell (R) d. Adams-Newsome 8-4; No. 2 Hietpas-Churchwell (R) d. Howard-Cox 8-4; No. 3 Charlie Gray-Matt Brown (FC) d. Johnson-Cummins 8-4.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series