Tennis -- Rosewood cruises past Wayne Christian
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 28, 2004 1:58 PM
Wesley Lovelady opened play with a 6-0, 6-0 win at number one singles as Rosewood cruised to an 8-1 non-conference win against Wayne Christian at Herman Park on Tuesday.
Brandon Hietpas, Ty Johnson, Joey Churchwell, Daniel Ellis and Alex Dunham each captured straight-set wins in singles, also.
Wayne Christian avoided the shutout with a win at No. 3 doubles.
Rosewood (9-7) returns to action Thursday afternoon at home against Carolina/Eastern Plains 1-A/2-A opponent North Pitt.
Rosewood 8, Wayne Christian 1
Singles -- No. 1 Wesley Lovelady (RHS) d. Patrick Kornegay 6-0, 6-0; No. 2 Brandon Hietpas (RHS) d. David Sheldon 6-0, 6-1; No. 3 Ty Johnson (RHS) d. Jeremy Crouthamel 6-2, 6-1; No. 4 Joey Churchwell (RHS) d. Taylor Gray 6-2, 6-1; No. 5 Daniel Ellis (RHS) 6-4, 6-1; No. 6 Alex Dunham (RHS) d. Jordan Crouthamel 6-2, 6-0.
Doubles -- No. 1 Hietpas-Churchwell (RHS) d. Kornegay-Grady 8-0; No. 2 Johnson-Ellis (RHS) d. Sheldon-Howell; No. 3 Gray-J. Crouthamel (WC) d. Dunham-Fail 8-0.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series