Tennis -- Aycock comes up big on big points
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 29, 2004 1:57 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock's Brandon Howard and David Williams won third-set tiebreakers at number three and four singles as the Golden Falcons defeated Wilson Fike 6-3 in non-conference action on Wednesday at home.
"We played well on the big points and that was the difference in the match," Aycock coach Luke Vail said.
Danny Fairchild, Howard, Sean Kelly and Williams all won singles matches for the Falcons, while Aycock's doubles combinations of Fairchild-Howard and Williams-John Ball emerged with wins.
Fike dropped to 11-7 with the loss.
Aycock improved to 10-6 overall and will return to Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference action today at home against rival Eastern Wayne.
C.B. Aycock 6, Wilson Fike 3
Singles -- No. 1 Danny Fairchild (CBA) d. Jacob Montague 6-2, 6-3; No. 2 Brandon Howard (CBA) d. Griffin Kennedy 4-6, 6-4, 7-4; No. 3 Sean Kelly (CBA) d. Nick Wagner 6-4, 6-4; No. 4 Witt Putney (WF) d. David Dodson 6-1, 6-0; No. 5 David Williams (CBA) d. Chris Forsythe 3-6, 6-1, 8-6; No. 6 Matthew Fleck (WF) d. Rich Holder 6-2, 6-3.
Doubles -- No. 1 Fairchild-Howard (CBA) d. Montague-Wagner 8-4; No. 2 Kennedy-Putney (WF) d. Kelly-Dodson 9-7; No. 3 Williams-John Ball (CBA) d. Forsythe-Fleck 8-4.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series