MOC men's tennis finishes 10th in region
By David Williams
Published in Sports on April 30, 2004 1:55 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive College moved up three spots to No. 10 in this week's Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division II Mid-Atlantic Region Poll, it was announced Thursday. The Trojans finished with an overall record of 15-7 in 2004, winning 11 of their last 14 matches to close out the season. Mount Olive posted a record of 7-3 in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference and placed third at the CVAC Men's Tennis Tournament, defeating then-regionally 10th-ranked Barton 6-2 in the third-place match.
The Trojans were No. 33 in the most recent national rankings, the highest national ranking for men's tennis in the school's history. The Trojans moved up seven places from No. 40 in lat week's poll.
Mount Olive's hopes for a berth in the NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Championship came up short as the field for the Mid-Atlantic Regional was filled by the top seven teams ranked in the region, plus one unranked conference champion.
Mount Olive set school single-season records this year for most wins and highest winning percentage, and earned its first-ever national ranking.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series