Softball -- Eagles win tourney opener
By David Williams
Published in Sports on April 30, 2004 1:57 PM
Brittany Solivan recorded six strikeouts in a complete-game effort, sparking Wayne Christian to a 13-4 victory against Community Christian in the opening round of the Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference tournament.
The third-seeded Eagles (9-4) battle top-seeded Village Christian of Fayetteville in the championship game this afternoon. The winner earns the league's automatic berth to the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association playoffs, which begin play either next Friday or Saturday.
Solivan yielded four hits and walked four in the regulation seven-inning game. She helped her cause at the plate with two hits in two at-bats.
Chelsea Anderson provided two hits in four plate appearances.
Logan Dawson, Emily Reesman and Danielle Pender each batted 1-for-3 on the afternoon. Jessie Brannan provided one hit and reached three times on walks.
Wayne Christian is seeded second in the four-team tournament.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series