Tennis -- North Lenoir, SWE battle for berth
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on April 30, 2004 1:56 PM
SNOW HILL -- North Lenoir's postseason dual-team fate remains undecided after a 6-3 loss Wednesday afternoon against SouthWest Edgecombe at the Snow Hill Tennis Complex.
The Hawks must finish 1-1 in their final two matches against Spring Creek and Ayden-Grifton to break the tie against the Cougars. If the teams finished tied, they will battle again next Wednesday afternoon with the winner advancing to the NCHSAA playoffs.
Billy Kirk, Paul Eubanks and Brian Ipock each picked up a singles win.
The teams were tied at 3-3 after singles.
SouthWest prevailed at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles. The Hawks defaulted at No. 3 doubles.
SW Edgecombe 6, North Lenoir 3
Singles -- No. 1 Billy Kirk (NL) d. Derek Turner 6-1, 6-0; No. 2 Paul Eubanks (NL) d. Aaron Walker 7-5, 6-2; No. 3 Blake Leonard (SWE) d. Gerry Floyd 6-1, 7-5; No. 4 Jackson Perry (SWE) d. Rufus Hill 6-0, 6-2; No. 5 Tyler Cannon (SWE) d. Levin Jones 6-1, 6-2; No. 6 Brian Ipock (NL) d. Corey Hamilton 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Doubles -- No. 1 Turner-Leonard (SWE) d. Mills-Jared O'Dell 8-4; No. 2 Perry-Cannon (SWE) d. Kirk-Eubanks 8-2; No. 3 Hamilton-Walker (SWE) by default.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series