Softball -- Village wins Carolina title
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 2, 2004 2:01 AM
Village Christian came from two runs down to beat Wayne Christian 8-7 and capture the Carolina Christian Conference softball championship Friday.
Wayne Christian gave up four runs on six hits in the first two innings to fall behind 4-0. But the Eagles broke through with a six-run fourth inning to take a 6-4 lead. Village put on a run of their own in the seventh with four runs to take an 8-6 lead in to the final inning.
Wayne Christian put a run in to close the game to 8-7, and had the tying and winning runs on base when the game ended.
"Early errors and nerves got the best of them in the first inning and again in the last inning when it was close to a win," said Wayne Christian coach Roger Longwell. "But I am very pleased with their performance today, and would not change a thing if I had to do it all over again -- except maybe only to win."
The game was the final game for Eagle seniors Jessie Brannan and Carrie Teachey.
Village Christian 310 000 4 -- 8 8
Wayne Christian 000 600 1 -- 7 9
Leading hitters -- Wayne Christian -- Brittany Sullivan 2-3; Emily Reesman 4-4; Katie Daniels 2-4. Village Christian -- A. Byrd 2-3.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series