Golf -- CBA's Smith qualifies for state tourney
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 5, 2004 1:58 PM
WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock's Dustin Smith emerged the lone area golfer to qualify for next week's N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A championships. The two-day tournament will be played at Woodlake Country Club in Vass.
Smith carded a 3-over par 74 on the Willow Springs Country Club layout and finished tied with conference rival Ryan Holler for second place overall. Wilson Fike's John-Tyler Griffin successfully defended his individual regional championship with a 3-under par 68.
Jonathan Burke complemented Smith's performance with an 81. Teammates Ryan Campbell and Will Vinson chipped in with rounds of 83 and 88, respectively.
The Golden Falcons finished fourth overall with a 326.
Fike claimed its third regional team title in the last four years with a 300. West Carteret, led by Holler, was 18 strokes back. Nash Central, a second-year program, grabbed the regional's final team spot with a 321.
Jacksonville White Oak (327) finished one stroke behind Aycock. Eastern Wayne was sixth with 337, followed by Washington (339) and Manteo (367).
Miles Perry paced Eastern Wayne with an 81. Robert Garris contributed an 83. Lance Ramsey and Ryan Dunn added 18-hole scores of 86 and 87, respectively.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series