Golf -- Spring Creek advances to state match
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 5, 2004 1:59 PM
CAMP LEJEUNE -- Ayden-Grifton's golf team captured second place in the NCHSAA 1-A eastern regional golf tournament Tuesday, gaining a berth in the state finals. The tournament was played at Lejeune's Paradise Point Golf Club.
Williamston took first place on the day, scoring a 308. The Chargers were second with 317 followed by Spring Creek at 328. Those three teams advance to the state finals to be played Monday and Tuesday at The Club at Longleaf in Pinehurst.
Stephen Warren led the Gators with a 78. Brandon Payson carded an 82, followed by Billy Hamm (83) and Pat Wilkins (85). Jamie Crampton and Ryan Fields also participated in the meet.
Adam Andrews of Ayden-Grifton was the medalist for the day, shooting a 71. All three of the other Chargers golfers, David Robinson, Cameron Taylor and Jordan Evans shot 82 each.
Williamston was led by William Ritter with a 74 and finished second overall. Drew Batts added a 76, Michael Rawls had 79 and Brody Bland shot 79.
The Tigers claimed their second straight regional title.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series