Baseball -- Southern Wayne drops Washington
Published in Sports on May 6, 2004 1:57 PM
WASHINGTON -- Washington managed just six hits off Southern Wayne starter Ashton Langston, who sewed up his complete game win by striking out Aaron Mobley in the bottom of the seventh inning as the Saints claimed a 4-1 Eastern Carolina Conference win over the Pam Pack.
With the win, Southern Wayne (9-11 overall) improved to 6-7 in the conference with a big battle on Friday at rival Eastern Wayne.
Southern Wayne put itself in great position from the start, plating one run in the first on a single by David Combs.
After scoring another run in the fourth, the Saints' capitalized on an infield single by Matthew Holloman.
The infielder knocked down the ball but could not throw out Nathan Fail, who came around to score from second and gave Southern Wayne a 3-0 lead.
Southern Wayne added one more run in the seventh as Langston set down the Pam Pack in order to end the game.
The Pam Pack travels to West Carteret on Tuesday.
Southern Wayne 100 110 1 -- 4 5 0
Washington 000 001 0 -- 1 6 4
Leading hitters -- Southern Wayne -- Matthew Holloman 1-3, RBI; Josh Narron 2-3, 2 2B; David Combs 1-3, RBI. Washington -- Aaron Mobley 2-4; Travis Rogerson 1-2, RBI. WP -- Ashton Langston. LP -- Aaron Mobley.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series