Tennis -- CBA defeats Kinston
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 6, 2004 1:55 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock's Danny Fairchild handed Kinston's James Walker his first loss of the season in singles play as the Golden Falcons defeated the Vikings 8-1 in a completion of a suspended match on Wednesday at home.
The win wrapped up the regular season for Aycock (12-7, 10-4 ECC), who will enter the Class 3-A dual team tennis tournament at the Northeastern Coastal champ on May 11. The Golden Falcons began the Eastern Carolina Conference Championships this morning at Herman Park.
Fairchild, Brandon Howard, David Dodson, David Williams and John Ball all claimed singles wins.
The doubles combinations of Fairchild-Howard, Sean Kelly-Dodson, Williams-Ball all won their doubles contests.
Charles B. Aycock 8, Kinston 1
Singles -- No. 1 Danny Fairchild (CBA) d. James Walker 6-4, 5-7, 7-2; No. 2 Brandon Howard (CBA) d. Jamison Smith 1-6, 6-3, 7-4; No. 3 Jonathan Bowen (KHS) d. Sean Kelly 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), 7-1; No. 4 David Dodson (CBA) d. Chris Mills 6-4, 6-3; No. 5 David Williams (CBA) d. Jon Shields 6-0, 6-0; No. 6 John Ball (CBA) won by default.
Doubles -- No. 1 Fairchild-Howard (CBA) d. Walker-Smith 8-4; No. 2 Kelly-Dodson (CBA) d. Bowen-Mills 8-0; No. 3 Williams-Ball (CBA) won by default.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series