Soccer -- Tarboro upsets NJ
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 7, 2004 1:56 PM
TARBORO -- Tarboro's Cassandra Jones scored in last minute of regulation and in the final minute of overtime as the Vikings pulled off a 2-1 upset win over playoff-hopeful North Johnston on Thursday.
By virute of James Kenan's loss to North Lenoir on Wednesday, the Panthers will still enter the N.C. High School Athletic Association Classes 1-A/2-A playoffs as the number three seed out of the Carolina/Super Six/Eastern Plains Conference.
North Johnston (11-9, 7-5 C/SS/EPC), which outshot Tarboro 14-5, will travel to the East Central's number two seed on May 12.
The Panthers' Martha Godwin opened the scoring with a goal off an assist from Rachel Bisesi and held the lead until the final minute of regulation before Jones' first goal sent the game into overtime.
Tarboro finished its season at 4-12-2 overall and 2-9-1 in conference play.
"We did not play our best, but they played much better than they played the first time over at our place," North Johnston coach Brent Walston said.
North Johnston's Allison Hinnant had two saves, while the Vikings' Ashley Anderson had eight saves.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series