Greene Central softball takes pair of wins
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on May 9, 2004 2:01 AM
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central won back-to-back games for the first time this season and did it unusual fashion Thursday afternoon.
The Rams traveled to Farmville Central for a non-conference game and prevailed 3-0. They returned home and handed Tarboro High a 13-0 setback in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play.
Brittany Leggett fired a five-inning no-hitter against Tarboro. She struck out six and walked one in the contest shortened to five innings because of the 10-run mercy rule.
Leggett helped her cause with a two-hit performance. Cassie Webb provided three hits.
The win boosted the Rams (5-16) to 3-6 in the EPC heading into next Tuesday's regular-season finale at South Lenoir.
Webb yielded no runs in seven innings on the mound and yielded one hit against Farmville Central, of the Carolina 1-A Conference. Webb fanned four Jaguar batters.
Elizabeth Cooper led the way offensively with two hits for the Rams.
Margo Brady got the loss for the Jaguars.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series