Thornton, Williams pace Lady Saints
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on May 9, 2004 2:03 AM
Pitcher Karen Thornton recorded six strikeouts and Dominique Williams turned in a strong defensive effort as Southern Wayne upended county archrival Eastern Wayne 8-3 in Eastern Carolina 3-A play Friday evening.
Thornton went the distance for the Saints, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and four walks.
Williams pounded out three hits against losing pitcher Ginny Narron in four at-bats. Rachel Reynolds added three hits, while Thornton batted 2-for-4.
Danielle Wilkins drove in five runs in a 2-for-5 showing. Scarlett Joyner contributed two hits in four plate appearances and two RBI.
Kristy Behrend led the Warriors with three hits, including a triple.
Narron gave up eight runs (five earned) on 13 hits, struck out one and walked one in a complete-game effort.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series