Golf -- Spring Creek in seventh at state match
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 11, 2004 1:57 PM
PINEHURST -- Spring Creek's boys golf team currently sits tied in seventh place in team scoring after 18 holes in the Class 1-A N.C. High School Athletic Association Golf Championships at The Club at Longleaf in Pinehurst.
The Gators are tied with West Davidson with 335 points, five strokes behind Carolina Conference rival Ayden-Grifton for sixth.
The best four of six individual scores count toward the team total. Today's final day of play will send the 1-A golfers off beginning at 8 a.m., with a total of 63 golfers competing.
Stephen Warren leads Spring Creek individually with an 81, while Brandon Payson shot an 84. Billy Hamm and Ryan Rields shot 85's for the Gators.
Dustin Philyaw of North Johnston fired an 80 and Princeton's Scott Woodard also shot an 80.
Tommy Gibson of East Surry and Cameron Cheek of Siler City Jordan-Matthews share the individual lead after Monday's opening day of play.
Jordan-Matthews has a four-stroke lead over East Surry in the team standings as the Jets attempt to defend their title. Williamston and North Lincoln are well back, tied for third in the nine-team field at 319.
2004 N.C. High School Athletic Association
Boys Golf Championships
The Club at Longleaf
Par 71, 6600 yards
Team scores -- 18 holes
1. Siler City Jordan-Matthews 301
2. East Surry 305
3. Willliamston 319
North Lincoln 319
5. Boonville Starmount 320
6. Ayden-Grifton 330
7. Spring Creek 335
West Davidson 335
9. Murphy 345
Individual leaders -- 18 holes
1. Tommy Gibson, East Surry 71
Cameron Cheek, Jrdn-Mtthws 71
3. Daniel Hensley, Elkin 73
David Heyen, Gray Stone Day 73
5. Miles Boling, Jordan-Matthews 74
Drew Batts, Williamston 74
Derek Ward, South Stokes 74
8. Kenny Bethea, North Lincoln 76
Garrett Layell, Starmount 76
10. Earlie Giley, East Surry 77
Doug Sparrow, Jordan-Matthews 77
Joseph Crissman, Starmount 77
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series