Baseball -- Saints win third straight
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 12, 2004 2:01 PM
Southern Wayne improved to 8-7 in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference with an 11-1 win in five innings at Goldsboro on Tuesday.
The Saints (11-11 overall) travel to West Craven, who lost Tuesday to Kinston, with a shot at the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs on the line. Southern Wayne currently sits tied with Charles B. Aycock for the fourth and final playoff spot from the ECC.
Matthew Holloman had three hits with an RBI for Southern Wayne. Chris Carr had a single and his first home run of his career.
Devin Graves picked up the win on the mound in three innings of work with five strikeouts.
Goldsboro's Demond Johnson had an RBI single, while Eugene Norman doubled for the Cougars (1-21, 0-16 ECC), who concluded their season.
Southern Wayne 014 51 -- 11
Goldsboro 000 01x -- 1
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series