Golf -- Wayne Christian finishes second in state match
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 12, 2004 1:55 PM
WHITAKERS -- Wayne Christian's Matt Davis fired a 160 over a two-day stretch on Monday and Tuesday, good for fifth place at the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A state championship at Hickory Meadows Golf Club in Whitakers.
The Eagles' Jonathan Greene finished sixth, firing a two-day 161 as Wayne Country Day finished second overall in team scoring with a 660 -- nine shots behind championship-winner Northeast Academy.
Davis and Greene were both on the all-state team.
Chad Smith (169), Clark Rose (170), Eric Williams (174) and Andrew Radford (183) also participated for Wayne Christian as it finished runner-up for the second-straight year.
Greenfield's Steven Harrison took individual medalist honors by firing a 141.
Heading into the state championship, Wayne Christian finished the regular season at 18-0 and returns all its players next season.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series