GolfÊ-- Gators finish eighth at state championship
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 12, 2004 1:56 PM
PINEHURST -- Spring Creek finished with a team score of 684 over a two-day stretch Monday and Tuesday and took home eighth place in the Class 1-A N.C. High School Athletic Association state championships at The Club at Longleaf in Southern Pines.
Brandon Payson paced Spring Creek with a 166, while Stephen Warren (169), Billy Hamm (174) and Ryan Fields (175) contributed to the team scoring. Pat Wilkins (184) and Jami Crampton (197) also competed for the Gators.
Princeton's Scott Woodard turned in a 152 and finished in a four-way tie for sixth overall in individual scoring, while North Johnston's Dustin Philyaw shot a 159 -- one shot back of the 12th place finishers overall.
Siler City Jordan Matthews captured the 1-A crown with 614 team points as the Jets' Cameron Cheek won individual medalist honors with a 143.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series