Softball -- C.B. Aycock's Jackson no-hits EW
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 12, 2004 1:58 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Each senior collected a hit in their final regular-season home game as Charles B. Aycock shut out Eastern Wayne 3-0 in a Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference battle Tuesday evening.
The Golden Falcons, ranked No. 1 in the latest ihigh.com/media and coaches poll, beat an ECC opponent for the 27th consecutive time. They conclude the regular season Thursday afternoon at Washington.
Junior right-hander Jenny Jackson threw her third no-hitter of the season and allowed just one base runner in the regulation seven-inning game. Jackson notched 11 strikeouts
The county rivals battled through 5 1/2 scoreless innings.
C.B. Aycock (19-0, 13-0 ECC) finally broke the deadlock in its half of the sixth.
Kandace Burroughs walked and moved into scoring position on Jackson's sacrifice bunt. April Vick plated Burroughs for the eventual game-winning run. Jennifer Williamson followed with a base hit, which put courtesy runner Ashley Morris at second.
Kaitlyn Thomas drove home Morris and Jackie Schmidt singled to score Williamson for the 3-0 lead.
Ginny Narron suffered the pitching loss for the Warriors, who were no-hit for the second straight game.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series