Softball -- Hawks take second spot
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 12, 2004 1:59 PM
DEEP RUN -- South Lenoir struck twice in the opening inning and the defense held its ground in a 2-1, Eastern Plains 2-A win against Greene Central on Tuesday.
The Blue Devils secured the league's No. 2 seed for Saturday's season-ending conference tournament at Tarboro. However, South Lenoir (13-7-1) is on the bubble and must make the tournament final to assure itself of a postseason bid.
Brittany Leggett paced the visiting Rams with two hits in three at-bats. Jessica Lovett singled and plated Greene Central's lone run.
Leggett suffered the pitching loss, scattering six hits and striking out two Blue Devil batters in a complete-game effort.
Alicia Byrd struck out seven and claimed the pitching win for South Lenoir.
Greene Central (5-17) is the No. 5 seed for this weekend's tournament and faces either SouthWest Edgecombe or North Pitt in the opening round. Those two teams conclude the regular season this afternoon in Pinetops.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series