Tennis -- Rosewood falls to DSA
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on May 12, 2004 1:57 PM
DURHAM -- Rosewood's No. 2 doubles of Matt Mitchell-Joey Churchwell emerged the lone winner in the Eagles' 8-1 loss at 1-A power Durham School of the Arts on Tuesday afternoon.
Mitchell-Churchwell rolled past the Bulldogs' Gabe Boldesare-Dylan Hammond 10-2. They continue play Friday in the N.C. High School Athletic Association eastern individual regionals at Herman Park.
Meanwhile, DSA advanced to the second round of the NCHSAA dual-team playoffs. The Bulldogs face Gates County next Tuesday and the winner entertains Spring Creek for the eastern championship.
Rosewood concluded its dual-team season 10-8.
2004 N.C. High School
Athletic Association Class 2-A
(at Durham School of the Arts)
DSA 8, Rosewood 1
Singles -- No. 1 Shawn Kwatra (DSA) d. Wesley Lovelady 6-0, 6-0; No. 2 Victor Cadilla (DSA) d. Matt Mitchell 6-2, 6-2; No. 3 David Clarke (DSA) d. Brandon Hietpas 6-0, 6-0; No. 4 Wes Hare (DSA) d. Ty Johnson 6-0, 6-0; No. 5 Russell Schmitz (DSA) d. Joey Churchwell 6-0, 6-1; No. 6 Daniel Kamiya (DSA) d. Daniel Ellis 6-0, 6-1.
Doubles -- No. 1 Clarke-Hare (DSA) d. Lovelady-Hietpas 10-2; No. 2 Mitchell-Churchwell (R) d. Gabe Boldesare-Dylan Hammond 10-2; No. 3 Dusty Carter-Robert Coffman (DSA) d. Johnson-Ellis 8-5.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series