Humphrey nearly perfect in Hawks' EPC tournament-title run
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 17, 2004 1:56 PM
TARBORO -- Hermia Humphrey had a near-perfect outing Saturday in the inaugural Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference softball tournament.
Humphrey threw a perfect game against SouthWest Edgecombe in the semifinals, staking the Hawks to a 9-0 win. The senior right-hander fanned 10 Lady Cougar batters in the regulation seven-inning game.
Mary Catherine Mills provided two hits and catcher Randi Moulton added a double. North Lenoir (22-2) earned its third shutout of the season against SouthWest and has outscored the Cougars 17-0 in three games combined.
Humphrey (13-1) yielded one hit against North Pitt, which needed to win the tournament and bump South Lenoir out of the playoffs. However, the Panthers struck out four times and walked once in a 5-0 loss.
Shortstop Leslie Oliver batted 3-for-3 with a double. Moulton added a two-RBI double.
The Hawks play host to Bunn in the opening round of the NCHSAA 2-A playoffs Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Greene Central concluded its season Friday with a 3-2 loss against SouthWest Edgecombe. The Rams (5-18) managed just three hits, including Elizabeth Cooper's double.
Cassie Webb claimed the pitching loss, striking out six in six innings.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series