Warriors' Shelly Baker, Matt Interrante claim regional titles
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 17, 2004 1:56 PM
WILSON -- Eastern Wayne senior Shelly Baker emerged the 300-meter low hurdles champion and qualified for next Saturday's N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A Track and Field Championships.
Baker bested the eastern regional field with a time of 47.1 seconds on the Demon Terror-Tory Stadium track at Fike High School. She also ran legs on the 800- and 1,600-meter relays, which also earned a spot in the state meet. Joining her on the relays are Jeannetta Randolph, Lyndsey Fennell and Eugenia Baker.
Jamie Vogt claimed runner-up honors in the 1,600-meter run and finished fourth in the 800.
The Warriors' 400-meter relay of Randolph, Alexandra Randall, Fennell and Eugenia Baker will also participate in next weekend's season-ending meet.
Long-distance specialist Matt Interrante seized the regional championship in the 3,200 with a time of 10:25. Teammate Michael Lawerence claimed second in the 1,600 with a time of 4:41.67.
Chris Campbell will join the duo in Raleigh after placing fourth in the 110-meter high hurdles.
The day-long meet begins at 10 a.m. at the Paul Derr Track on the campus of N.C. State.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series