Gators' Wilson-Wilson reach 1-A doubles semifinals
By David Rouse
Published in Sports on May 23, 2004 2:01 AM
CARY -- Spring Creek's doubles of Grey and Cliff Wilson reached the semifinals of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A championships contested at the Cary Tennis Center.
Wilson-Wilson ousted Elkin's Ian Wagoner-Nick Holcomb 6-4, 6-4. The duo lost in the next round 7-5, 7-6 (5) to East Wilkes' tandem of Luke McCann-David Murphy.
"They were so close to going back today and playing for that state championship," Gators coach Robert Jones said Saturday morning. "I think we could have won it (the semifinals). Momentum is a big thing.
"That team that beat us barely lost to the Elkin team. It would have been an uphill battle for sure. Wilson-Wilson played fantastic and represented our school well. I was proud of their effort."
The Gators' Will Daniel lost to Mount Airy's William John 6-0, 6-0 in the opening round of singles play. Rosewood's Wesley Lovelady, the Carolina 1-A singles champion, dropped a 6-1, 6-2 decision to Mt. Airy's Drew Belton.
Spring Creek (16-2) faces Durham School of the Arts for the eastern regional dual-team title next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series