Wayne Co. Junior Legion slides by Conley
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 15, 2004 1:55 PM
DUDLEY -- Wayne County Junior Legion pitchers Justin Williams, Evan Cavanaugh and Joseph Davis combined on a two-hitter as Post 11 defeated D.H. Conley 5-4 at Southern Wayne High School on Monday night.
Williams, who started and pitched three innings, yielded one hit, walked five and hit four batters, while striking out three. Cavanaugh picked up the win in three innings of relief work, giving up only one run on one hit.
The only two hits allowed by Williams and Cavanaugh were a pair of Conley home runs.
Davis got the save in one inning of relief.
Wayne County coach Trae McKee praised a solid defensive effort behind the pitchers as Billy McKinley (CF), Davis (RF) and John Yates (3B) turned in impressive defensive outings.
Offensively, Post 11 proved balanced as well.
Austin Hood set the table from the lead-off spot, scoring three runs and stealing five bases, while going 1-1 with two walks.
Brady Wiggins had two hits, including a double and and RBI. Davis delivered a home run and drove in two runs as Joey Moye provided a double.
Wayne County improved to 6-1 and travels to face Wilson at Wilson Fike High School tonight.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series