Jones wins a pair of events for GTC
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 17, 2004 1:55 PM
WILMINGTON -- McKenzie Jones claimed a pair of first-place finishes and took second in two events in the Atlantic Sectional Championships contested this past weekend.
Jones prevailed in the 200 meters with a time of 22.23 seconds and ran the 400 in 51.8 seconds. The Spring Creek standout added a second-place time of 10.78 in the 100 and was runner-up in the long jump.
Jones qualified for the N.C. Association USA Track and Field State Championships scheduled for June 26-27 in Greensboro.
Also making the trip will be Bernard Green, Minek Ford, Kiante Powell, Jacob Sykes and Heather Murray.
Green, competing in the 9-10-year-old division, turned in two second-place efforts in the 100 and 200. He was placed third in the 400.
Ford (11-12) finished third in the 100, and fourth in the 200 and 400.
Powell, competing in the same age group as Ford, placed fourth in the 100 and fifth in the 200.
Sykes impressed the crowd with first-place performances in the 200 and 400 among the 15-16-year olds. The Goldsboro High sprinter ran the 400 in 51.4 and the 200 in 22.9.
Murray ended up second in three events -- 200 (27.6 seconds), 400 (1:02.4) and long jump (15 feet, 4 inches).
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series