MOC women's soccer signs five Fayetteville area standouts
Published in Sports on June 25, 2004 1:55 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive College head women's soccer coach Chris Shaw has signed five recruits to National Letters-of-Intent. All five recruits are from the Fayetteville area and four are members of Shaw's club team, which won a state championship this past year.
Signed for the Trojans are Christa Campbell, a midfielder from Fayetteville; Emily Escola, a midfielder from Rockingham; April Jacobs, a midfielder from Fayetteville; Lauren Slattum, a forward from Angier, and Leah Stanley, a defender from Fayetteville.
"I am really excited to have five quality players coming out of the Cape Fear region of North Carolina," said Shaw, who is in his second year at Mount Olive. "I am confident that this group of players will help the Mount Olive College women's soccer team develop into one of the top teams in our conference."
Campbell, Jacobs, Slattum and Stanley are all members of the 1985 Fayetteville Force, coached by Shaw. The Fayetteville Force won the Kepner Cup last fall to claim the North Carolina championship and finished second in the Director's Cup, a regional championship that took place in June.
Shaw's club team will compete in a national championship tournament in Indiana in late July.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series