Wayne County Juniors bomb Tri-County East
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 25, 2004 1:55 PM
WASHINGTON -- John Yates nearly hit for the cycle as Wayne County Post 11 prevailed 14-3 against Tri-County East in an American Junior Legion baseball contest Thursday evening.
Yates singled, doubled and tripled in five plate appearances. He also drove in five runs as Wayne County climbed to 8-2 overall.
Brady Wiggins batted 2-for-4 and scored three runs. Tyler Ham also went 2-for-4 and scored twice. Joey Moye contributed one hit and tallied three runs.
Wayne County collected 10 hits overall.
Evan Cavanaugh emerged the winning pitcher, yielding four hits in a six-inning stint. He struck out four, walked two and surrendered three runs (two earned).
T.J. Hinson provided one inning of one-hit, one-strikeout relief.
Post 11 entertains Cary in a doubleheader Saturday. The first game is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex on the Southern Wayne campus.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series