Area minorleaguers faring well in the minors
By Gabe Whisnant
Published in Sports on July 4, 2004 2:00 AM
Oklahoma Redhawks starting pitcher and Eastern Wayne graduate Sam Narron gave his most dominating performance of the season to improve his record to 4-0 as the AAA RedHawks beat Omaha 3-0 Monday.
Narron, a standout at East Carolina University, threw a three-hit complete game shutout. He had a no hitter through 4 1/3 innings which was broken up on a single by Raul Casanova.
Narron allowed only one Royal to advance to second and one to advance to third in the game. Both came in the seventh when Narron induced Casanova into an inning-ending double play with the bases loaded.
Narron is now 4-0 with a 3.36 ERA with the RedHawks. In 18 games between Oklahoma and double-A Frisco with the Texas Rangers organization, Narron is 10-0 with a 2.56 ERA.
* Charles B. Aycock graduate Brian Grant has pitched in only 11 innings and two games this season with the Rookie League Pulaski Blue Jays, giving up eight hits and two runs with nine strike outs.
Grant is 2-0 and has a 1.64 earned run average in his two starts.
* Former Princeton standout and N.C. State graduate Rodney Ormond was 3-2 through June 22 with the AAA Ottawa Lynx of the Baltimore Orioles organization. Ormond had one save and a 5.55 ERA before being sent to the AA Bowie Baysox recently.
Since joining the Baysox, Ormond doesn't have a decision in three appearances.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series