Babe Ruth baseball -- Wilson County wins three district titles
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 6, 2004 1:55 PM
SNOW HILL -- The Wilson County Youth Athletic Association sent three teams to Greene County for the Babe Ruth Eastern North Carolina District Four Baseball Tournament and came away with three championships.
*In the 12-year old division, Wilson County defeated North Johnston 9-0 to advance to Wilmington for the state tournament starting July 16.
In the loser's bracket final, Johnston County defeated Wayne County 9-3.
Greg Simms paced Wayne County with two hits, while Josh Ponce provided a home run.
* Wilson County West 10 year-old's claimed a 6-4 win on Saturday over Wayne County as Wilson West's Logan Butts and Alex Nguyen combined on a five-hitter.
Wilson was led at the plate by Joshua Issette's 2-for-3 effort.
Wayne County's Tyler Brown had two hits, while Adam Pate, Blake Sutton and Bryant Stafford added hits.
In the loser's bracket finals, Wayne County bounced back with a 12-0 win over Greene County led by Collin Dubose's three-for-three output. Sutton added two hits for Wayne County, while Stafford provided a double.
Wilson will travel to Washington for the state tourney, beginning July 9.
* The Wilson County 11 year-old's won 3-0 over Wayne County on Friday as Cory Nygard pitched a one-hitter and added a 3-for-4 showing at the plate in the championship game.
No further information was submitted on the 11-year old championship.
With the win, Wilson County advanced to the state tournament in Wilmington on July 9-14.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series