Boys Club, Mount Olive alive at Dixie district tourney
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 9, 2004 1:55 PM
DUNN -- The Wayne County Boys and Girls Club beat Sampson County American 13-0 on Thursday to advance in the Dixie Youth Baseball AAA (9-10-year old) district tournament in Dunn.
The Boys and Girls club hads six hits, with Dillon Smith going 3-for-3 and Matthew Dickerson and Will Wilslow both getting hits. Nolan James was the winning pitcher, throwing a one-hitter.
The Boys and Girls Club will meet undefeated Clinton tonight at 7:30 at Tyler Park. In the other half of the bracket, Mount Olive will take on Dunn, Mount Olive advanced with a 7-1 win over Mar Mac in an elimination game, while Dunn lost to Clinton 3-2. Dunn beat Mount Olive 4-3 in a close game earlier in the tournament.
On Wednesday, Mount Olive fell 4-3 to the host team from Dunn to drop into the losers' bracket. Brandon Outlaw had two hits and Tyler Gainey pitched four innings, also getting one hit. Breyon Johnson threw the final two innings for Mount Olive.
Wayne County lost on Wednesday to Clinton 10-0. Wayne County had four hits, with Nolan James going 2-for-2. Russell Turner took the loss.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series