Wayne County All-Stars fall in Dixie Youth
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on July 11, 2004 2:00 AM
Wayne County falls
DUNN -- Wayne County scored five runs in the top of the sixth inning, but couldn't keep the momentum going in a 9-5 loss against Clinton in the AAU Dixie Youth 8-10-year-old Tournament at Tyler Park on Friday evening.
Xavier Knight cleared the bases with a three-RBI triple to start the sixth-inning uprising. Wayne County added two more runs on two walks, a hit batsman and fielder's choice groundout.
The game started out as a pitcher's duel as neither team collected a hit the first three innings.
Clinton broke the scoreless tie in the fourth, tallying three runs on two hits and an error. It added six more runs in the fifth on three hits and an error.
Wayne County (2-2) finished third overall in the double-elimination tournament.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series