Keys' Johnson honored
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 16, 2004 1:55 PM
GREENSBORO -- Frederick Keys third baseman Tripper Johnson was voted the Carolina League's Topps Player of the Month for June in a poll of the managers.
In 25 June games, the right hand batting Johnson hit .355 (33 for 93), with eight home runs and 23 RBI. His on-base percentage was .429. Eight doubles and two triples helped swell his June slugging percentage to .742. Cumulatively through games of July 6, the 22-year-old is hitting .279 with 15 home runs and 48 RBI.
Johnson, out of Newport High School in Bellevue, Wash., was the Orioles' first round pick in the 2000 draft. He is currently in his fifth professional year. In 2003 he batted .273 in 123 games for Frederick.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series