K-Tribe sweeps doubleheader
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 16, 2004 1:55 PM
SALEM, Va. -- Kinston entered Thursday's doubleheader trailing Salem in the Single A Carolina League Southern Division standings. Once the doubleheader had ended, the first-half champion Indians had vaulted into second place, while the Avalanche crumbled into the league cellar.
The K-Tribe took game one 6-4 and prevailed 2-0 in the nightcap.
Nathan Panther and John van Every each collected three hits four plate appearances in the opener. Shawn Larkin provided two hits in four at-bats.
Juan Lara (2-1) earned the mound win, striking out seven and allowing three runs on eight hits in five innings.
Salem's Mark Saccomanno belted his 18th home run of the season in the third.
Jamie Merchant (1-5) endured the pitching loss.
Kinston left-hander Keith Ramsey (7-2) dominated Salem for five innings. He shut out the Avalanche on three hits, while walking none and striking out three.
Brian Rodaway (5-2) was excellent for Salem as well. He yielded a first-inning run and that would be all Kinston got off him. Rodaway went six innings giving up six hits with out walking a batter and striking-out six.
The K-Tribe's Todd Pennington earned his fifth save.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series