Legion playoffs resume tonight
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 16, 2004 1:56 PM
American Legion baseball begins the second round of the playoffs tonight as Wayne County locks up with Pitt County Post 39 in a best-of-three series with a berth in the Area I East finals at stake.
Top-seeded Wayne County will host second-seeded Pitt at Scarborough Field on the campus of Mount Olive College tonight at 7 p.m. The series moves to North Pitt High School in Bethel on Saturday.
Wayne County, the Area I East South champion, knocked off New Bern in three games in the opening round to advance. Post 39 swept Snow Hill to end Post 94's season.
In the other half of the Area I East bracket, first-round upsets have pitted third-seeded Wilson against fourth-seeded Ahoskie in the second-round series. Wilson took out Beaufort County and Ahoskie beat top-seeded Nash County in first-round series to advance.
Wayne County and Pitt County Post 39 are both regular competitors for divisional titles. Post 11 has won five Area I East titles since 1990, taking the crown in 2000 and 2002. Post 39 won it three consecutive years (1991-93) and captured back-to-back Area I East crowns in 1998 and 1999.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series