Local racing columnist Jerry Howell passes away
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 28, 2004 1:55 PM
Jerry Howell, the long-time auto racing columnist for the Goldsboro News-Argus, died Tuesday of cancer at his brother's home in Florida.
Howell's Pit Stop column was a regular fixture pages of the News-Argus for many years. Howell wrote in his column a few months ago of his illness and asked for understanding from his readers if the colmuns became infrequent.
His last column appeared in the News-Argus April 18.
Howell was a fixture at NASCAR tracks all over the region and was an accomplished auto racing photographer whose photos ran in racing magazines across the country.
Funeral arrangements were incomplete at press time.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series