Aycock Junior Legion falls to Fuquay
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on August 1, 2004 2:00 AM
SALISBURY -- The Aycock Junior Legion baseball team concluded its state-championship run with a 10-7 loss against Fuquay-Varina in consolation-round play Friday afternoon.
Aycock finished the season 20-6.
Chris King doubled and collected an RBI in a 2-for-3 effort. Aaron Kline provided two hits and two RBI in four plate appearances. Cameron Boswell delivered an RBI single in the seventh.
King started on the mound, but left midway through the game.
Jackson Massey replaced King in the fourth inning and ending up taking the loss.
Aycock built a 5-1 lead in the third inning on the strength of four singles and a Fuquay error. Thomas Pilkington, Joseph Toler, King and Kline each knocked a base hit during the four-run uprising.
Fuquay pulled within 5-4 before Aycock added a single run in the sixth. Toler walked, stole second and scored on Kline's single.
Fuquay continued its comeback and took control in the sixth with a four-run outburst. They added one in the seventh before Boswell trimmed the deficit to the final 10-7 margin in Aycock's last at-bat.
"We had a good season," said Aycock coach Ed Spence, whose team finished fifth overall in the state.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series