By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 11, 2004 1:55 PM
Big crowd at Junior Tennis Open tourney
The 57th Eastern Carolina Junior Open tennis tournament was held at Herman Park August 6-8 by the Goldsboro Tennis Association. Twenty-seven of the 73 players in the tourney were from Goldsboro.
Local winners in the tournament included; David Wilson (boys 14 singles consolation winner), Anna Weeks (girls 16 singles consolation winner), Miller Delbridge (girls 10 singles finalist), Joann Talton (Girls 10 consolation finalist), Kara Kelly (girls 14 singles consolation finalist), Danielle Daniel-Janelle Daniel (girls 14 doubles finalists), Ross Wilson-Cliff Wilson (boys 16 doubles winners), William Jackson-David Wilson (boys 14 doubles winners).
Recipients of the John Allen Sportsmanship Award were Hannah Bornhofen from Raleigh and William Spangler from Chatanooga, Tennessee.
Joyce Reynolds won the play of the day this week, while Hanny Cornella took low gross and Linda Cannon won low net. Frankie Farfour won low putts.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series