Prep soccer roundup
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 18, 2004 1:55 PM
Steed turns in hat trick for WCDS
Wayne Country Day's Sam Steed turned in a hat trick (three goals) as the Chargers marched to a 7-0 win over Cape Fear Academy on Tuesday at home.
Wayne Country Day also got goals from Kevin Logan, Chris Reed, Byron Bryan and Will Futrelle.
Bryan added two assists, while Reed and Futrelle had one assist each for the Chargers (2-0).
Cape Fear (0-1) was issued a red card 15 minutes into the game and had to play a man down the rest of the match.
"We played great team ball ... give-and-go's and great passing," Wayne Country Day coach Michael Taylor said. "The defense played extremely well."
Ryan Ford had six saves in the goal for the Chargers, who face Southern Wayne at home on Thursday.
enough for Hawks
LAGRANGE -- Forward Josh Williams scored the game's lone goal as North Lenoir opened its season with a 1-0, non-conference victory against Wilson Beddingfield on Thursday.
Williams tallied the game-winner 18 seconds into the second half.
North Lenoir (1-0) travels to county rival Kinston today. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series