Cross-Country -- Walters second in Gator defeat
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 27, 2004 1:56 PM
BEULAVILLE -- Eric Walters crossed the line second and Pat Wilkens turned in a third-place time as the Spring Creek boys cross country team dropped a 23-33, non-conference decision against East Duplin on Thursday afternoon.
John Mitchell led the Panthers to the win with a time of 19 minutes, 45 seconds on the 3.1-mile course at Cabin Lake. Walters ended up 10 seconds behind.
The Gators' Cliff Wilson finished eighth for the Gators in 22:12. Daniel Correll took ninth with the same time, while Alex Casey was 11th in 23:05.
Barbara Witherington paced Spring Creek's girls with a second-place time of 27:17 in a 21-38 loss against the Panthers. Teammates Molly Parker (29:35) and Anna Potter (30:00) claimed sixth and seventh, respectively.
Rounding out the Gators' scoring was Summer Scott (11th, 39:15) and Carin Griep (12th, 39:56).
Spring Creek entertains Wayne Country Day and Southern Wayne next Thursday afternoon. The meet begins at 4 p.m. at Cliffs of the Neuse State Park.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series