Tennis -- Washington eases past Southern Wayne
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 27, 2004 2:00 PM
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne's Beth Brown played well at No. 1 singles and Christie Westbrook fought hard at No. 6 singles, but Washington was too much overall in a 9-0 loss Thursday afternoon.
Brown lost 8-4 against Emily Cochran, while Westbrook stumbled 8-3 against Mary Paige Peacock.
"I think Beth had a good match today and hit the ball well for us," Saints coach Brad Matthews said.
The teams played eight-game pro sets due to the weather. The match was moved to Southern Wayne because of wet courts at the John Neal Walker Tennis Complex at Mount Olive College.
The Saints (0-5, 0-4 ECC) travel to archrival Eastern Wayne next Tuesday afternoon.
Washington 9, Southern Wayne 0
Singles -- No. 1 Emily Cochran (W) d. Beth Brown 8-4; No. 2 Brooke Woolard (W) d. Tara Tillman 8-0; No. 3 Randall Peck (W) d. Emily Taylor 8-0; No. 4 Rachel Perkinson (W) d. Whitli Thornton 8-0; No. 5 McKenna Cox (W) d. Leslie Barrow 8-0; No. 6 Mary Paige Peck (W) d. Christie Westbrook 8-3.
Doubles -- No. 1 Cochran-Woolard (W) d. Brown-Taylor 8-1; No. 2 R. Peck-Perkinson (W) d. Thornton-Barrow 8-2; No. 3 Cox-M. Peck (W) d. Kasey Powell-Lauren Harrell 8-0.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series